Due to conflicts in scheduling, we will be moving the Historic Preservation Review Board meeting from May 1, 2019 to May 8, 2019. The location, Abingdon Town Hall (Arthur Campbell Room) and the time will remain the same, (5:15 P.M.). Please call 276-628-3167 if you have any questions or concerns.
THREE OR MORE MEMBERS OF THE ABINGDON TOWN COUNCIL MAY ATTEND AN EMPLOYEE BREAKFAST ON THURSDAY, APRIL 25, 2019 AT 8:00 AM ARTHUR CAMPBELL MEETING ROOM TOWN MUNICIPAL BUILDING
Residents, property owners, and citizens interested in preserving historic buildings, places, and archaeological sites in Southwest Virginia are encouraged to attend a free “Workshop for Historic Preservation in Southwest Virginia” scheduled for April 30 in the town of Abingdon when DHR staff will discuss various state and federal preservation programs.
The workshop, which requires no registration, will convene at the Southwest Virginia Cultural Center & Marketplace (formerly Heartwood Artisans Gallery), located at 1 Heartwood Circle, in Abingdon. It begins at 1 p.m. and runs until 5 p.m.
During the event, DHR staff will present six short, 20-minute overviews about programs DHR administers:
- the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places;
- state historical highway markers;
- Cost Share, a funding program designed for localities seeking to support local historic resources;
- state and federal tax credits for rehabilitating historic properties listed on the state and national historic registers;
- the Certified Local Government program, which makes available federal grants distributed by DHR to participating CLG communities; and
- DHR’s efforts to preserve and investigate Southwest Virginia’s archaeology.
After the presentations, DHR staff will host small group question-and-answer discussions focused on each of the programs in order to allow workshop attendees to discuss with DHR staff items and topics of particular interest relating to each of the programs presented.
The workshop will also feature a presentation on The Crooked Road, Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail.
The Southwest Virginia Community Heritage Foundation is hosting the DHR workshop, with support from Abingdon’s planning office.
Three or more members of the Abingdon Town Council may attend a Virginia Municipal League workshop on April 23, 2019 at the Washington County Service Authority Boardroom, 25122 Regal Drive, Abingdon, Virginia.