About the Project:
The Town of Abingdon is currently in the process of revising and updating the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances. The revision will update the current ordinance language to reflect changes in Virginia State Code and address new issues that have become relevant in Abingdon due to technology changes and shifts in development patterns and demands.
What is Zoning?
Zoning is the primary tool for regulating the use of land. Each property in Abingdon has a zoning designation with rules and standards for use, placement, spacing, and size of land and buildings. These regulations determine the direction and intensity of development while minimizing the impacts and are reflective of the development goals for the town set forth in the Comprehensive Plan. Since zoning and land use regulation shapes the lives of town residents every day, citizens are encouraged to stay informed and engaged throughout this ordinance update process.
About the Process:
The ordinance update will engage Abingdon’s Town Council, Planning Commission, citizens, businesses, and other stakeholders. The current zoning district regulations, subdivision and land development standards, and zoning map will be evaluated, reviewed, updated, and revised as guided by the boards and the citizens.
The process includes:
- Kickoff with Town Council and Planning Commission — March 1, 2021
- Stakeholder Meetings — April 1, 2021 (Arthur Campbell Room, Municipal Building, 133 West Main Street)
- Public Input Workshop — April 1, 2021
- Public Input Survey — March – April 2021
- Work Sessions with Planning Commission — April – December 2021
- Public Open House — Winter 2022
- Formal Public Hearings and Adoption — Spring 2022
The Town has employed the services of The Berkley Group, a Virginia-based local government planning and consulting firm, to assist with this ordinance update process.
Public Input Workshop:
As a first step to this ordinance revision, the Town, in collaboration with the Berkley Group, is seeking your input through participation in a public workshop.
- What: Public Input Workshop for Abingdon Zoning / Subdivision Ordinance update
- When: April 1, 2021 at 5:30-7:30
- Where: Virginia Highlands Small Business Incubator, 851 French Moore Jr Blvd. Abingdon, VA 24210
- Register: Click here to pre-register
Pre-registration is encouraged, though not required, to enable us to ensure proper social distancing can be practiced at the workshop. Cloth face coverings and physical distancing will be required.
Public Input Survey:
Pick up a paper copy at: 133 W. Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24210
Survey open March 8 to April 8. SURVEY IS NOW CLOSED.
- Click here to view the presentation from the March 1, 2021 Kickoff with Town Council.
- Work Session 1, April 26, 2021, with Planning Commission Materials:
- Work Session 2, June 28, 2021, with Planning Commission Materials:
Additional meeting materials will be available after each work session. Check back for details.
Links and Background Material:
- About the Planning Commission
- About the Berkley Group
- Current Zoning Ordinance
- Current Zoning Map
- Current Subdivision Ordinance
- Current Comprehensive Plan
- Land Use Policy Evaluation Diagnostic
For more information as this process progresses, please visit this website often for updates and information. You can also contact Jason Boswell in the Abingdon Community Development Department for more information: (276) 492-2137; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments will be accepted throughout the process utilizing the following link, click here.