Streets and Sanitation
Functions in the Street Department include maintenance of pavements, drainage systems, sidewalks, curbs and gutters. It also includes street sweeping, mowing right of ways, leaf collection in the fall, and snow and ice removal in the winter. Also included is the maintenance of traffic signs and guardrails, pavement striping and markings, maintenance of most Town owned vehicles, and special support activities for the Virginia Highlands Festival and the Washington Co. Fair and Kiwanis Christmas Parade and several smaller civic group and community activities throughout the year.
A fully automated solid waste collection system was initiated in November, 1999 providing rollout containers for weekly curbside service to residential customers. The town also provides monthly cleanup days (first Tuesday of each month) for bulky rubbish and white goods and regular weekly brush collection. Approximately 3,000 tons of refuse is collected annually. In addition to the refuse, approximately 2,500 cubic yards of leaves are collected and transported to a facility for disposal.
Solid Waste Services
Waste Products Collected in Roll-Out Carts (Normal Weekly Pickup)
- Residential solid waste consisting of:
- Garbage (refer to the label inside the lid of your cart)
- Household trash
- Grass clippings
- Light commercial solid waste (i.e. waste which is residential in nature but is generated by a small business not using dumpster service)
If you have any questions about this service or if you need a cart which is smaller than the standard 96 gallon size, please call the Street & Sanitation Superintendent at 276.628.2361. You may request an additional cart for a service charge of $12.00 per month for a minimum of six (6) months. Carts are the property of the Town.
Other Collection Services
The Town collects the following items at no charge (see collection schedule below):
- Brush and trimmings from shrubbery and trees. Tree limbs must be no longer than ten (10) feet in length and must be no more than six (6) inches in diameter.
- Bulky Rubbish, which is acceptable for collection but too large for the roll-out carts, such as desks, chairs, large empty boxes, etc. will be collected by the Town on the FIRST TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH. Bulky rubbish should not be set out prior to Monday.
- White Goods are large metal appliances such as stoves, washing machines, clothes dryers, water heaters, and refrigerators. (Note: All refrigeration units must have their compressors removed and drained of refrigeration fluid and oil before they can be collected by the Town).
- Leaves will be collected in season when placed in a row (NOT in bags) along the edge of the street.
The Town does not collect the following:
- Refrigeration units which contain any type of refrigerant
- Demolition and construction waste
- Stumps, tires, batteries, fence wire
- Hazardous wastes such as Freon, oils/solvents, insecticides, pesticides, liquid paints, asbestos materials, etc.
- Brush, Bulky Rubbish, and White Goods
- Please separate brush, bulky rubbish, and white goods for collection.
- Place the stacks next to a street or near the curb and gutter but NOT in the street, or blocking the gutter or ditch line, or obstructing access to a roll-out cart.
- To facilitate safe collection, do not place directly under power lines or against fences.
- Dump Trailer Rental
There are two (2) dump trailers available for rental. Used for remodeling, people cleaning out basements, etc. The cost is $150.00 UP FRONT. If over ONE TON – Renter will have to pay the total of the landfill ticket after disposal.
- If you are not sure how to dispose of an item, please contact the Superintendent at 628-2361 for instructions BEFORE setting it out for collection.
Roll-Out Carts: Once a Week
Brush Collection: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
Bulky Rubbish: 1st Tuesday each month
White Goods: 1st Tuesday each month
Large Quantity Collection: As Needed Depending Upon Available Equipment and Personnel
Public Works: Streets
The Street Department consists of 20 full time employees and 1 part time employee. The Town’s Street Department handles all repairs, patching, cleaning, painting, paving contracts and right of way mowing.
Contact the Street Department at (276) 628-2361.
The Street Department is responsible for clearing all debris from public roadways including litter, dead animals, fallen tree limbs, etc. They also maintain the streets regularly for routine sweeping.
Snow removal in the Town of Abingdon is performed by the Street Department. Priority clearance is provided for main thoroughfares, bus routes, and secondary streets. If there is sufficient snowfall, snow plows are utilized with salt spreaders.
For more information regarding Snow Removal, click here. *(Currently Being Updated Please Check Back)*
All public street signs including regulatory, warning and guide signs are installed and maintained by the Street Department.
The Street Department is responsible for asphalt patching and repairing potholes in public roadways and town owned parking lots.
Storm drainage systems are cleared of obstructions on a regular basis with critical areas inspected and cleared by the Street Department before, during or after major storms.