Board of Building Code Appeals is seeking a member to fill an open position. It is preferred that applicant represent different occupational and/or professional fields relating to the construction industry, including but not limited to, experienced builder, Registered Design Professional, and/or experienced property manager. The committee meets twice a year or on an as needed basis. Interested persons should complete the Board and Commission application found here by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 8, 2020. Council will consider the applications at the next regularly scheduled Council meeting.
Abingdon Planning Commission is seeking a member to fill an expected vacancy. The committee meets the 4th Monday of each month at 5:30 pm in the Arthur Campbell Room at the Town municipal building, 133 West Main Street. Interested persons may be subject to completion of a statement of economic interest form and may not miss more than three (3) meetings during a 12-month period of service. Interested persons should complete the Board and Commission application found here by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 8, 2020. Council will consider the applications at the June 15, 2020 Council meeting.
The Abingdon Town Council will hold its Regular Meeting on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Building.
The Town of Abingdon is taking several measures to support the goal of protecting the well-being of our community, and the capacity of our overall healthcare system. Effective May 26, 2020, many offices, including Town Hall and the Police Department, will be open to the public; however, some Town facilities will remain closed until further notice. Below is an update on Town facilities and services.
– Town Hall is open but customers may continue to use the following methods for transactions such as paying sewer bills or taxes:
o U.S. Mail
o Online – www.abingdon-va.gov/online-bill-pay
o Credit card via telephone: (276) 525-1464
o Dropbox located at the front of Town Hall
· There is a “dropbox” located outside the first floor of Town Hall for patrons to submit business licenses, building permits, and other items to the Planning and Public Works Departments. Other services (such as applications for permits, licenses, and applications for utility services) may be negotiated by use of telephone or e-mail communication. Many forms can be downloaded from our website www.abingdon-va.gov (and identified using the search tool).
· Tourism offices, at 335 Cummings Street, will continue to serve visitors by phone and e-mail only. The building is closed to the public. You may contact the office via phone at 276-676-2282 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The Muster Grounds, at 1780 Muster Place, is closed to the public until further notice. You may contact the office via phone at 276-525-1050.
· Public parks and playground facilities are open under normal operating conditions as long as patrons remain compliant with appropriate social distancing guidelines. Pavilions with picnic tables will remain closed until further notice. For more information or questions about the parks, playgrounds, and pavilions, call 276-492-2144.
· The Coomes Recreation Center will remain closed until further notice. For further updates, follow their social media pages or visit their website at www.coomescenter.com.
Continue to follow the Town website and social media pages for further updates and schedule changes
Due to social distancing guidelines as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, below are the procedures for the Planning Commission meeting on Monday, June 1, 2020.
- The Planning Commission meeting will be live streamed via the Town of Abingdon YouTube page.
- The meeting will be conducted via electronic means pursuant to Acts of Assembly Chapter 1283. Citizens who wish to participate in the meeting to address the Planning Commission during the public comment portion of the meeting or during a public hearing can do so at Town Hall.
- Those who wish to address the Planning Commission must enter the building on the first floor. Citizens who sign up to speak will be directed to the Arthur Campbell Room one at a time where their comments will be live streamed directly to Planning Commission members conducting the meeting.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Planning Department at 276-628-3167.
THE PLANNING COMMISSION
MEETING SCHEDULED FOR MAY 25, 2020
AT 5:30 P.M. HAS BEEN RE-SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 1,
2020 IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS
133 WEST MAIN STREET