The Town of Abingdon is taking several measures to support the goal of protecting the well-being of our community, and the capacity of our overall healthcare system. The Town of Abingdon offices will be CLOSED until further notice. Essential employees will still report to work as scheduled. Feel free to contact employees by phone at 276-628-3167 or via e-mail.
Tentatively, the Town Council Regular Meeting/Budget Work Session is scheduled for April 20, 2020, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers. The meeting is open to the public; however, we encourage you to view via live stream on the Abingdon TV YouTube page.
As a reminder, for the duration of the State of Emergency within the Commonwealth of Virginia, the following policies are applicable:
- There is a “dropbox” located outside the first floor of the Municipal Building for patrons to return business licenses, building permits, and other items to the Planning and Public Works Departments. Other services (such as applications for permits, licenses, and applications for utility services) may be negotiated by use of telephone or e-mail communication. Many forms can be downloaded from our website www.abingdon-va.gov (and identified using the Search tool).
- All essential services will continue (Police, Fire, Public Works – including trash collection, and wastewater operations).
- Most committee and commission board meetings are canceled until further notice. Please refer to the Town’s website for notice of public meetings.
- Tourism offices, at 335 Cummings Street, will continue to serve visitors by phone and e-mail only. The building will be closed to the public. You may contact the office via phone at 276-676-2282 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Muster Grounds, at 1780 Muster Place, will be closed to the public. You may contact the Grounds via phone at 276-525-1050.
- Playground facilities and pavilions with picnic tables will be closed until further notice. Reservations of outdoor recreation pavilions owned by the Town shall be discontinued. Public parks shall remain open under normal operating conditions to provide exercise opportunities to citizens, as long as patrons remain compliant with appropriate social distancing guidelines.
- The Coomes Recreation Center will remain closed through April 23, 2020, following the Governor’s order. For further updates follow their social media pages or check their website- https://www.coomescenter.com/.
- Payment of taxes, fees, and utility bills may be accomplished through online access, via U.S. mail, by phone at 276-525-1464, or by use of the secure “dropbox” located at the front of the Municipal Building.
The Town of Abingdon encourages you to take advantage of the measures listed and ask that you do your part to mitigate this crisis. Continue to follow the town website and social media pages for updates and schedule changes.